4/17/12

Some Green in the Desert!

   Hey, everyone!  I guess you might say I'm abiding by my New Year's resolution & only posting when I have something to share, because my posts have been far and few between.  Always something going on around here, but not all of it is "share worthy"......lol!  The Man has been doing lots of things in the yard, so I thought I'd share some of the progress.


This is what we had when we moved into our home last August.  No, we don't live on a culdesac, it's  just a very large lot.


 
This area of grass was in very poor shape from lack of water.  Quite a blank slate, wouldn't you say?



This is the only picture I could find of the front of our house just before moving in.  There were too many bushy-spikey things going on out here.  It was very unkempt.

This was the poor, very sad, very bad front entry.

Here's the front of our home today.  We cleaned out all those spikey things & transferred a couple of the boulders to the other side of the driveway.  Plus we added the pavers on both sides of the driveway, which I already shared with you.  We plan to do a specimen tree in the area to the right of the 
driveway -- maybe a Desert Museum Palo Verde.

We dressed up the entry with some plants & pots.

We also added two of these Blue Tip  Junipers......

one on either side of the garage door.  The Man did the shaping, & I think they look great.

We've started a garden -- tomatoes, squashes, peppers & a pumpkin.

This is going to be citrus row.  We have a kumquat, Meyer lemon, another lemon that produces year around, Ruby Red grapefruit, & 2 different oranges.  The grass is starting to get green, too!

Most of the citrus trees are loaded with these.  Oh how I wish there was "smell-vision," because these smell incredible! 

Back in the far corner is The Man's fig tree.

My little herb pot.

I just love cooking with fresh herbs.


I love this Talavera pot (have had for years) & the daisies & alyssum are doing so well.  By the way, the pots are only over here temporarily while we have something else going on, & then they will be moved to other areas.  The Man is planning to build some planters between each of the trees & those will be for flowers -- yay, I can't wait, but I probably will have to wait awhile for those.

So that's it.  We still have tons to do, but we have time and don't have to do everything at once.  I do have to confess, though, my use of the term "we" throughout this post, really should be "The Man."  I have planted some of the flowers & the herbs, but my dearest has worked really hard thatching the lawn, running water, amending & amending & amending the soil in the garden area, plus planting the trees & other shrubs.  He really deserves all the credit -- love my guy!

This is going to be my last post for awhile.  I am taking a bloggy break because of some other things that are going on.  I'll fill you in after the break.  As always, I so appreciate all my blog friends & love all your comments.  Thank you so much for stopping by.
CAS







                                                         

6 comments:

  1. Hi Cas! You have a huge space out there to cultivate. With your hubby-wifey team, I know you can make out a lot of great things from that big space. But I must say I'm loving your "pot garden" it's a good start to develop a great garden at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like he has been busy, busy, busy. I'm sure he can't wait til it is all done & the two of you can enjoy. He better hurry though cuz it is gonna get HOT. Hope all is well in whatever you are up to. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I hope your break time is for something good in your life:) I love the mini herb garden, it is just adorable. Also the pavers you added in the front made the perfect transition from drive to yard. Perfect touch. Would love to smell the flowers on the citrus trees. Never have done that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks sooo good!!! I want to have a garden & it seems that everyone in the blog world has one. I don't think now is the time for me to start since I have NO IDEA how to grow food! I need to do a lot of research! Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of "smell-vision"! Your yard is really taking shape--good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cas,
    Your yard is shaping up very nicely,
    really love what yall did to the front yard, and bet your backyard
    smells divine. Yea, Rome was not
    built in a day and I have found that good yards are a ongoing project .
    It took me 7 years to get my back yard looking great then we had a hurricane that completely demolished it, and had to start all over again,
    but it is looking better every year. Will look forward to seeing your ongoing project........

    Hope you have a fun time on your break...............

    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to hear from you and try to respond to each and everyone. If you have "no reply blogger," I will respond in my comments section and then visit your blog as soon as I can.

Make this a great day!
Carol

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...