3/22/13

A Family Gathering

Hey everyone!  I was absolutely planning to wait until next week to share photos about our "Family Gathering," but I was so happy with how everything turned out and could not wait any longer!  We had been planning this for a couple of months, trying to get everyone's schedules coordinated.  The Man's sister and BIL have a time-share in Scottsdale and arranged a time when their kids and grandkids could join them for a few days, and we worked around our son's schedule to choose an evening when we could all be together.  The adult cousins had not seen each other for a long time, and a couple of spouses were new on-the-scene, not to mention all the second cousins who had never met.

We could not have asked for a more perfect evening, and the Bunny Trail sign was out to greet everyone when they arrived.  


Our HOA Community Center has this wonderful Party Trailer that you can borrow or simply borrow the items you need for events -- tables, folding chairs, BBQs, lights, kids' pools, etc.  You simply leave a deposit when you pick up what you need and get it back when you return those items.  We didn't need very much, just a couple of tables and folding chairs, but it was so nice not to have to rent them!

Y'all know I've been on a "drop cloth" kick lately, so I made a couple of oblong cloths and a round one.  I already had the fringe from a gazillion years ago and thought that was a nice touch.  On a last-minute trip to Trader Joe's for some wine, I spotted lots of fresh "white" flowers -- daisies, tulips & stock, and knew exactly what I wanted to do with them.  I gathered up a bunch of jars and other clear-glass containers and added a mix of the different flowers, then placed them down the middle of the long tables and added some to the round table.  It was very simple but looked great! 

I always forget to take pictures once things start happening, so I didn't get any pics of the food or food and beverage tables.  We took the easy way out on part of the food with ribs and baked beans from Joe's BBQ (a real landmark here in our area), so all I had to make was potato salad, bread and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  I made "Bunny Munchies" treat containers for the "littles," but no pic of those either!



We had six "littles" here, ranging in age from 11 down to 18 months.  Poor little Parker is so outnumbered, but he is a great big brother and didn't mind a couple of extra girls thrown in the mix!  I just have to chuckle -- I don't care how many pictures you take, with this many little ones you will NEVER get them all "antic-free" or even looking in the right direction!  We tried!


Left to right: Greta (3), Avey E (18 months), Flynn (4), Phoebe (9), Parker (11), and Avey Q (2).  Yep, we have two Averys in the family!


These little people played with toys, tossed balls, looked at geckos on the fence, and even had time to bestow us with lovely chalk art!

The Man's sister was so sweet and sent us this iPhone pic that she snapped of our family.  It's a bit grainy but still a pretty good picture.  You can kind of see the Bunny Munchies containers that I spoke of earlier in Flynn's and Phoebe's hands -- got those boxes at World Market, made some little tags and filled them with small chocolate chip cookies & some Easter candies -- they were a big hit!

We all had so much fun together and closed out the evening with promises to do this again soon.  I hope the children won't all be teenagers before we make that happen!

In case you are wondering what I did with all those lovely flowers after the party.......
I brought them inside and gathered them together on this tray on my kitchen island.

I'm truly enjoying how pretty they look, and the wonderful smell of the Stock is incredible!

I'm so happy you stopped by and indulged my sharing of our family party.  Next week I will share a post about our newly acquired family treasures.  I think you will enjoy that, so please come back!  As always, you know the "Welcome" mat is always out!

I love to party here:
Karen at Sew Many Ways for Sew Darn Crafty
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Dawn at Creative Cain Cabin for Budget Decorating Party
Kathryn at The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Mondays
Maria Elena at Our Home Away from Home for Tuesdays at Our Home
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life  for Table Top Tuesdays
Leslie at House on the Way for Twirl & Take a Bow
Mary Beth at Cupcakes and Crinoline for Project Inspired
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Karin at The Style Sisters for Centerpiece Wednesday
Richella at Imparting Grace for Grace at Home
Pamela at From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
Jody & Stan at Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays 
Amanda at Serenity Now for Weekend Bloggy Reading
The Tablescaper at The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays

4 comments:

  1. Hi Carol,

    Your pictures are wonderful and I so enjoyed your sharing your experience. Your home is beautiful just like you.

    Take care,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mary! That's so sweet of you to say. I hope everything is good with you.

      Carol

      Delete
  2. How fun to have everyone together. We have not done that on either side of our family for years. A reunion is planned in August in Sacramento where 3 of my husband's sibs now live. I let my cousins know that we were heading north then so we are getting a little something together for may family too.

    I love to go to TJs for flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great family get together! Thanks for linking up last week for centerpiece Wed and sharing your post...love he flowers on the tray...so cute!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to hear from you and try to respond to each and everyone. If you have "no reply blogger," I will respond in my comments section and then visit your blog as soon as I can.

Make this a great day!
Carol

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...