4/30/13

How Does Your Garden Grow?


Hey everyone!  I know some of you are just starting to have some Spring weather and beginning to think about planting your gardens.  Well, we were able to plant our garden at the end of March, so I thought I would show you the progress so far.


We planted 6 different tomatoes, 2 zucchini, 2 yellow crookneck, parsley, lavender (just because I like it), lemon balm (good in tea and in salads) and some marigolds.  I have a pottage (that's what Martha calls it) of a bunch of other herbs in a pot along the fence -- oops, forgot to take a pic!
This was about a week after we planted.

Our soil is VERY sandy, so The Man had to do quite a bit of amending.  It may not look like it, but the soil in this little area is now quite rich.

This was about three weeks after planting.

Oh boy, we are going to have a lot of tomatoes -- fingers crossed!

The squash are doing very well.

We have a very odd-shaped & over-size lot.  The Man has been adding citrus all along the fence -- Meyer Lemon, Lisbon Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit, Kumquat & a Cutie (I think).  There is also a fig in the far back corner.  The tree just beyond the garden (in the grass) is a Willow Acacia, which is supposed to be fast-growing and a good shade tree -- we need that for the kitchen and 
breakfast room windows.

I took this pic today.  All of the tomato plants have fruit -- YAY!

This is a Sweet 100 Cherry -- see all the littles in there.  The Grands
love to pick and eat these!

This is a Pearson -- just a good, all-purpose tomato.


This is a dwarf peach with several babies.

This is a Desert Willow.

The bonus -- we didn't realize it gets blossoms!

We planted 2 of the Yellow Banks Rose and plan to attach them to the block wall.

And, someone forgot to tell my last Fall's chrysanthemum that it really wasn't supposed to bloom again 
so soon!

This is today's harvest -- yummy squash!

We decided to keep our garden very simple this year.  Next year or possibly before our Fall planting, we want to make this area a raised bed or two.  My back would really appreciate that!  We officially hit 100* yesterday, so the garden will grow very fast and furious, and probably be finished by the 4th of July.  Then I will have to simply enjoy seeing the bounty of all my bloggy friends who don't live 
in the desert!  Thanks for stopping by and please know you are always welcome!

10 comments:

  1. Looks like you're on your way to an awesome harvest this year!! How fabulous to grow lemons... I need to move someplace warm I think!

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks wonderful, Carol! I really would love to have one, but don't know how it will do with all the scorpions and spiders in Texas. It looks like you guys are doing great with yours. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, are you kidding me???? I am soooo jealous! We haven't even been able to plant yet, I am sick over it too. We have had so much rain and we are way behind. Do you do fried green tomatoes?? Oh if so, let me know, I have a wonderful sandwich recipe for them. Anyhoo, I couldn't wish wonderful, healthy fresh veggies on a more deserving blogging friend. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it will render a lot of goodies. Mine are also doing well. It will be so nice when the trees mature. The hot weather will be here soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a fabulous garden! All I'm growing this year is one single Juliette tomato plant (in a pot) and one Meyer Lemon tree (also in a pot) We might transfer the lemon tree to the ground soon. I bet you're going to enjoy the lavender. We have some wild mint that grows along our back fence. It smells really good, especially when it's freshly cut (like when one of the boys accidentally runs over some of it with the riding mower--ha!)Aren't marigolds supposed to help deter pests from your garden, or something like that? I always see people planting them along with their veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to get to see your garden this time of year compared to ours! You are on the opposite side of the country from me and it shows! We just started our garden and can't even grow citrus like you can. I'm gasping at the 100 degree temps you said you just had! Oh....my....gosh!! I shouldn't complain about the heat here then. We've reached 80 in the past, but that's unusual this time of year. It's mostly in the 60's and 70's right now. Your garden looks amazing! Wish I could eat some of that fresh squash you have right now! We planted some, but it will be a while before we see it. Try to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, your flowers and vegetables look so pretty. I love a good home grown tomato, and it looks like you're going to have a lot of them. If I lived closer, I'd be sneaking into your yard to "borrow" some tomatoes! laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurie! Oh, you wouldn't have to sneak into the backyard, I'll be handing them out to our neighbors!

      Delete
  8. thanks for visiting my blog. I love love this article. What amazing growth on your plants. The soil must be good and the weather warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe how fast the plants grew! The blooms on the other plants are so pretty! Just when we thought summer was here we had record lows all week. The high was in the 50's last weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to hear from you and try to respond to each and everyone. If you have "no reply blogger," I will respond in my comments section and then visit your blog as soon as I can.

Make this a great day!
Carol

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...