8/10/14

Some Simple Packing Tips

Hey everyone!  As some of you know (those who read my blog), The Man and I just got back from a 2-week road trip vacation.  This vacation involved not only simple sight-seeing, but also two reunions and several visits with friends.  There were only two times when we would be staying more than one night at a time, so I wanted to pack carefully and try not to have just a jumbled mess in our suitcases. So what do you do when you need suggestions......PINTEREST, of course!  I found some FREE printables that I used and found to be very helpful.

The form below was so helpful in just having one place to jot down all the things we did not want to forget.  I simply kept this out on the kitchen island for a few days prior to our DD, so The Man and I could write down things as we thought about them.  The last category on this form, Entertainment, is where I listed things like: snacks & water, electronics & cords, reading-writing materials, my crochet (I like to crochet in the car), etc.  When we are car-tripping, I always use several sturdy tote bags to make things easier to find......one for snacks & water, another for the electronics stuff & paper goods (including our travel agenda & hotel reservation confirmations), and a separate one for my crochet & my iPad (we listen to audio books on that).   

Free Printable Packing List by Just a Girl and Her Blog
I really like this next form and used it to plan out my outfits for each day of our trip.  My plan (and it worked beautifully) was to have everything in one suitcase that we would need on-the-road and not have to haul in both suitcases -- The Man likes to use one of those fold-over type bags.  
Female Wardrobe Organizing
I packed the completed form right into a pocket in my suitcase, incase I forgot what I planned for a particular occasion, or if I would be doing some mixing and matching for additional outfits.

PSST.....I am now using the above form to plan outfits for my everyday wear.  I have a section in our master closet where I can hang several outfits and not have to decide each morning what I will wear.  I'll share more about this trick later when I reveal our master closet redo -- it's almost finished!

Okay, it's time to pack those bags!  I found this Source on Pinterest and decided to give it a try.  It's pretty ingenious as far as I'm concerned.  You simply pack "outfits" in the Jumbo Ziplok bags.



I neatly folded tops and bottoms, plus a little bag of the matching accessories, placed them in the zip bags, pressed out the excess air, zipped it up, DONE!

If what I was packing might wrinkle easily, I didn't squeeze out so much air.

This was a medium-size suitcase, and I had all of my clothes (*minus shoes, purses -- those went in a tote bag), The Man's travel clothes, & all the undergarments for both of us zipped into separate bags.

*The tote bag with shoes and purses is not something I ordinarily do, but we had plenty of room.  I just decided each day what shoes/purse I wanted and grabbed them from the bag -- no need to take the whole tote bag in each time.

This system worked so well.   It was so easy to find what we wanted each day without disrupting the entire suitcase.  Each night I would pull out the next day's outfit and hang it up so any wrinkles could fall out -- that worked well, too.

*FYI -- all of my toiletries, including makeup & hair stuff goes into a zippered tote bag.  I usually carry this inside the car, especially during warm weather.

When we got home, I only had 2 outfits that had not been worn, but were still nice and clean in their zip bags and ready to re-hang in my closet.  After unpacking everything, I simply tossed all the zip bags right back into the suitcase to reuse on our next trip.

Well, that's just about a wrap for this post.  I would love to hear how you pack for trips -- tips, tricks, etc.  Trips-vacations are such fun but also a bit chaotic, so it's great when you have some tricks up-your sleeve.  Hope you enjoyed and maybe "packed" (wow, I'm so funny) up an idea or two.

I sometimes like to party with these nice bloggers:

Cindy at Dwellings--The Heart of Your Home for Amaze Me Monday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Kathryn at The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Mondays
Maria Elena at Our Home Away from Home for Tuesdays at Our Home
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life  for Inspire Me Tuesday
Leslie at House on the Way for Twirl & Take a Bow
Mary Beth at Cupcakes and Crinoline for Project Inspired
Suzy at Worthing Court for The Scoop
Karin at The Style Sisters for Centerpiece Wednesday
Kelly at Live Laugh Rowe for Live Laugh Linky Party
Richella at Imparting Grace for Grace at Home
Pamela at From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
Natasha at Natasha in OZ for Say G'Day Saturday Party

30 comments:

  1. This is just brilliant!! Next road trip, I think I might try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have some great tips here! I like the idea of packing whole outfits into a zip bag. Certainly makes it easy when getting dressed. And your suitcase stays neat because you're not rummaging around in it trying to put together an outfit. I love that you can reuse the zip bags on your next trip too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great tips, thank you. On our recent trip to CA, I experimented with a "capsule wardrobe," which was kind of fun! I made every outfit mix-and-match and only brought neutral underwear, socks, etc. so I could wear anything with anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate packing so I have to try this. I already make lists & would be lost without them but the ziploc bag thing is genius. My biggest issue is finding what I need & everything else gets strewn about. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS for the suggestion of the zip lock bags!!! I will be doing this next trip for sure! I have another suggestion too: I take a small bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release o trips. It works MAGIC on getting wrinkles out! I use it at home as well, and many times don't need to iron!!!! Glad you had a good trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What GREAT ideas Carol! I wish I would have seen this before your trip as you know I was gone at the same time. We did ok in the packing, but I did learn that shoes need to be separate because my one suitcase was too heavy for having to haul upstairs at a couple of hotels. Anyway, love the ideas for my next road trip :) Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip, Carol! I sure will keep it in mind for our next trip. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol,
    Thanks so much for stopping by and for all the sweet things you had to say!! I am blushing!! Many people call me Crazy but I say I am just Creative!! LOL!!
    Have a great day!!
    Hugs,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have some great tips... we just got back not to long ago from vacation and could have used these ideas! Next time!!! Hope your week is going good!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol,

    You are the queen of organization!! What a brilliant job you did of this task of packing, which so many of us dread, even to think about! The older I get, the less I want in my life, in my home, and more importantly, in my brain - i.e., that 'baggage' that we tend to hang on to, which can really weigh us down!!

    Thanks for all your amazing tips and pics! Happy Thursday, my friend!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like your tips, Carol. We are planning a family trip to Europe next summer and will be staying somewhere different every few days so these ideas will help keep us organized. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol, this post is really timely for me! I have a lot of travel coming up in October. I've always been a bit of a slap-dash packer; this time I'm going to try your organized way of doing things. :)

    Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home--I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete


  13. It is important to cause this appealing with the goal that it to can get took note Custom Printed Boxes can assist here. These crates are structured so that they can cause an item to be seen by the individuals who pass by it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well that’s an amazing variety you have been shared. I love your ideas. Design impacts a lot in Custom Packaging. Thanks for sharing with us.
    Custom Bakery Boxes, Custom Cereal Boxes, Business Card Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for sharing these packaging tips with us really helpful, if you need
    Custom Product Packaging you can contact us

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this blog. I will visit again for such tips. Visit my blog CBD packaging manufacturer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing an interesting and very useful blog. I appreciate your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is a very informative blog I really appreciate this great information. Visit my blog Custom Design Packaging Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  22. Acquire our custom printed Hair Extension Boxes to pack your hair care products. We offer you these boxes at a low rate. Moreover, we deliver these boxes to your doorstep with free shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is a very informative blog I really appreciate this great information. Visit my blog How Magnetic Lashes are Best For Profound and Puzzling Eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing an interesting and very useful blog. I appreciate your efforts. Click here

    ReplyDelete
  25. This blog is very informative. thanks for sharing such important and useful information. Keep it up. visit mentioned website for printing and packaging services.
    Paper Boxes Modern Solutions to Boost Your Business

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to hear from you and try to respond to each and everyone. If you have "no reply blogger," I will respond in my comments section and then visit your blog as soon as I can.

Make this a great day!
Carol

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...