5/30/12

A Little Shabby Dress-Up

Hey everyone!  Okay, I promised to share a little project I worked on last week.  I've been thinking about doing this for awhile, ever since I was visiting Amanda at Dixie Delights.  She has a delightful blog, filled with such creative ideas for her home and fun ideas for doing things for and with your children.  She has 2 young sons, herself.  Amanda has a beautiful home, & I was inspired when I saw this lovely, skirted table in her entry.  Check it out HERE.

foyer 1
Amanda's table cover is made out of burlap.

This is the table I want to cover.  Ya'll have seen my Old Singer many times.  It fits perfectly on this angled wall in the entry, & it is one of my favorite spaces to decorate.

I've always been a bit limited in what I could do because of the raised area in the middle, so I asked 
The Man if he would make a wooden topper for it to level it out.

And in a flash, he had this ready for me.

He even offered to paint it for me -- he's just so sweet that way -- but it's always going to be covered, so I didn't see the need for paint.

I was so excited at this point that I had to get busy & come up with a plan for making this skirt.  I always plan things out on paper first, figure all my cuts, & then determine yardage.   I have a section
in my Smash Book (more to come later about this new acquisition) just for this purpose.

 I would love to have used burlap like Amanda did, but I have an allergy-issue with burlap -- it makes me sneeze, so I had to choose something else.  After making a quick run to Joanne's (with a 40% off coupon, of course), I decided on the same fabric that I've used on some other projects around here. 

It's kind of a linen-look fabric, with some slight texture, but very soft.  I know it's hard to see 
in this photo.  I just love it's very natural look, & it's super-easy to work with.  Plus, it's less than $6 a yard, so with my coupon, it was a very inexpensive project -- less than $30 for what I needed.



I got everything cut, & then started sewing & pressing, sewing, pressing, pressing, sewing -- oh, please stop me already!  Yes, there were lots of fabric strips to sew & press.  I place a large padded board on top of my craft/sewing room island, & this is where I can easily press as I sew.

Now, are you ready?
  

Ta-da!  It fit perfectly without any adjustments -- love it when a plan comes together!

I just love how it turned out!  I really like that I can add a contrasting fabric topper for a seasonal change when I want.  And I am already "wanting" to do just that.....lol!

Added bonus -- Abby (on the right) has a new place to hide!



So, what do ya' think?  I love it!  Thanks again, Amanda, for a great inspiration piece.
As always, ya'll are just the best!  I truly appreciate your visits & your comments.  Hope it's a great week for everyone.
CAS

I'm happily linking to:
 Cindy @ Skip to My Lou for Made by You Monday
Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life  for Table Top Tuesdays
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Jenny at The NY Melrose Family for Whimsy Wednesdays
Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
Heather & Vanessa  At The Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Karen at Sew Many Ways for Find a Friend Friday
Traci at Beneath My Heart for Best DIY Projects of May


35 comments:

  1. I think it is fabulous. What a great idea. Love the mirror, lamp and the vignette. Looks gorgeous. Great job. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, It turned out just adorable. It looks so much bigger now, maybe it is the flat top that does it. I love the look of burlap, but is is messy and has a stink that I can't get over. It's ok for outdoor use but indoors is just not for me. I think your choice of linen is perfect. Gotta love it when you hit it perfect in the first making. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! You did an outstanding job! I think the fabric you chose is perfect for your home! I have a friend that is allergic to burlap too! I love this! You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, great job Cas! I love the linen look, it's light and airy! Your mirror, lamp, and vignette all look perfect together. Thanks for sharing! xo ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, Liz! You are so sweet. Now, get back to packing.....lol!
    CAS

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty. Gave it a whole new look and one would never know what it is. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! that turns out AWESOME. Well worth the job.

    Your such a talented in sewing. I could faint doing it all alone by myself.

    TY for sharing the great idea.

    Greetings,
    /CC

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks just gorgeous!!!! Thank you so much for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your project turned out wonderful and gives the wall a totally different look. Very good. kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great solution to the raised top! I was just on Amanda's blog last night-missed seeing this-but you're right. She does some amazing things for her children. I really like the linen fabric you chose and it gives your hall a whole new look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My curiosity is now satisfied. Your project looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so pretty, CAS! You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the ruffles...you did a great job on your table cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it, too! I'm planning on making a ruffled cloth to cover my front porch table and think I will go with white cotton. The lighter, the better with sewing! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cass, this is beautiful! What an awesome project and I love how it dressed up your table. It looks just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just beautiful, Carol! I LOVE it! Can't wait to hear more about the Smash Book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It turned out wonderful and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute idea! I love the skirted table in the foyer!!! :D By the way, Miss Angie and I are hosting a Smash Journal link party at the end of the summer. I hope you will join us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I love Abby too! :)

    ~ Julie (thanks for stopping by today!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great project--you can never have too many ruffles. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Cas! Oh, it looks fabulous! I personally don't care for burlap and think your fabric looks so much more pretty and the ruffles hang so well. I have the same sewing machine. It was my grandmothers and has the machine.
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Why, that is the cutest thing I ever saw. Love it to pieces....you did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very impressive! What a welcoming sight.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! It is such a great idea and looks fabulous :) Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Carol - ever since I saw this at Dixie Delights (love her home!) I've been dying to try it! Yours is awesome!!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  26. So lovely! You did a great job. Also, thank you for the visit and sweet comment @TheDedicatedHouse. It means the world. Wishing you a grand evening. Toodles, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job! It really does bring a different feel and look to it. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it! The burlap makes the ruffles hold so well! You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Now that's a successful project! Well done!
    It looks wonderful!

    Thank you so much for the visit and sweet comments on my blog!

    xo-Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful job! So pretty. Thanks for your wonderful comments. New Follower.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  31. Applause!!!!It's beautiful. I love that you plan it all out in a note book. I do something similar to that also. It is so helpful when it comes time but the supplies. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks great...perfect for spring!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to hear from you and try to respond to each and everyone. If you have "no reply blogger," I will respond in my comments section and then visit your blog as soon as I can.

Make this a great day!
Carol

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...