1/13/13

A Yummy Warm Sipper!

Hey everyone!  Just got back from seeing the movie "Lincoln."  Will Mr. Lewis win yet another Oscar?  I don't know, but he was very believable as the great Mr. Lincoln.  Anyway, weather here in the Arizona desert has been rather frigid -- seriously, anything below 45 degrees is really cold to us "desert rats," and we have been having below freezing for the last couple of days.  I'm talking 26* yesterday and 21* this morning -- we are really into layers of clothing and warm cups of yumminess to sip.

My new favorite warm beverage of choice lately (after a couple of cups of my favorite coffee, of course) has been Russian Tea.  This is a homemade brew, and one that I used to make many years ago when my kiddos were, well little kiddos!  The original version had lots of sugar in the form of sugary Tang, and sugar-sweetened lemonade mix plus the instant tea.  Well, a few weeks ago I went on a hunt for a sugar-free version.  I found several recipes that sounded okay, but not quite what I wanted, so I just started combining bits and pieces from here and there and came up with the following.  Hope you enjoy!

Russian Tea Mix -- "Sugar-Free" Version

What you will need:
1 packet sugar-free Crystal Light Lemonade ( Walmart's brand is what I use)
1 packet sugar-free Crystal Light Orange (Walmart's brand is called Orange Early Rise)
1 cup unsweetened instant tea (any brand)
1 to 1 1/2 cups Splenda (or your sweetener of choice)
1 heaping teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I'm generous with this amount because I like cloves)
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice (generous as above)

Simply mix everything together, and even add some cinnamon sticks if you like -- I do.  Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of mix, depending on the size of your cup, and fill with almost boiling water.  If you let the water boil, you have to wait for it to cool a bit before you can begin to enjoy this yumminess -- just sayin'.  I like to add one of the cinnamon sticks to mine for a little added flavor.  This was my "go-to" beverage a few days ago when I was feeling "poorly" and nothing much tasted good, except this!  I do hope you will give it a try; and if you are lucky enough not to be watching your "waistline," then simply substitute all the sugar-laden ingredients.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week ahead, and for goodness sake, try to stay healthy!
                                                                

9 comments:

OurSearsKitHome said...

Glad you are feeling better! I'm all for a cozy warm drink....especially if cloves or allspice are involved!

Unknown said...

We have not seen it yet Carol but it has a ton of great actors in it so we are intrigued. It did not pass 50 today but felt much colder. I think we are only going to be in the low 40s the next few days. Hope your weekend was a good one!

Wendy said...

I bet that cold weather is making for even more amazing skies then you guys already get to see! I know when it gets cold here the sunrises and sunsets are brilliant. Russian tea?! I must try!!! Are you Russian? My grandparents migrated here from Russia. :)

Wendy said...

PS- Thank you for following back!

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Your tea sounds yummy. I love Russian tea but not all of the sugar... this sounds like the perfect solution. Thanks for sharing.

Carol said...

We certainly aren't used to this chilly weather!

Carol said...

Thanks, and I do hope you give this tea a try -- so good!

Carol said...

My hubby's great-grandfather was from Russia.

Glan Deas said...

Your tea is looking very yummy!! I have never try this tea before but still I can't wait to prepare this tea.

Regards,
Kopi Luwak

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...