7/6/14

Crochet -- Not a Dying Art!

Hey everyone!  Hope y'all had a terrific 4th of July and captured lots of family memories!  So, tell me, do you knit or crochet?  From what I've been seeing here in blogland, there are quite a few younger adults taking up the hobby (or maybe it's an art form).  Speaking as someone who is not "young," I am thrilled to see this hobby continuing on through the generations.  Now, just so you know, I am an absolute novice when it comes to knitting and crochet.  I've "dabbled" over the years, first with knitting (I was truly terrible at that) and currently with crochet.  I love crochet but am still not very good at it, but I enjoy it so much that I am willing to forge ahead.  Anyway, I thought I would share some of my little projects.

I adore this cotton yarn.  It's perfect for many of my projects.

This was some inexpensive yarn that I already had and created a needle case with it.

Not bad for a beginner!

You will quickly start to see a pattern here.........

Everything is a square or rectangle and for very good reasons.

#1 -- I've gone crazy for these crocheted dishcloths!  Have you ever used one?  They are 
fantastic!  All of these are my own personal collection that have been used and washed repeatedly.

#2 -- I cannot read a pattern.  No, seriously, I get all those little letter codes and "repeat from last stitch, blah, blah, blah" all mixed up.  I have been watching some ladies on YouTube, and may

Feel comfortable enough to go from squares to something with a curve or even a......SLEEVE!
EEK......that's pretty scary!

I really had fun making the potholders which are double thickness.  I will be giving some of the potholders and coordinating dishcloths as little "thank you" gifts to some of our friends who are providing lodging for The Man and I on our vacation this summer.

I really do like the edging on this one, but it may be a bit too much

For a dishcloth......but maybe not.

Yep, I'm crazy for color!

The best thing about making these dishcloths is that I get to practice different stitches.

I've had so much fun mixing and matching!

Here are a couple of scarves that I've made.

This one is made with that super-soft, chenille-type yarn and it's an infinity scarf.

This yarn is really soft, too, and is just a very long narrow scarf.

You knew, of course, that I would have to have some Christmas dishcloths!

This is a very pretty and soft yarn that I am making a scarf out of for someone special -- can't 
say anymore!


Now this is a lap-size afghan for me to use in my "Momma-Cave" some time in the FAR, FAR
future when and if it ever cools down here in AZ!

Adding the pompoms was just for fun.  On a lark, I picked up a set of pompom makers at Joann's one day.  They are super-simple to make, and my mind is spinning with some ideas of things
I want to make using pompoms!

It's a "Pompom Crazy World!"

Thanks for letting me share my novice endeavors.  It can be really hard to teach an
old dog new tricks, but I'm keeping on, keeping on!

If you are super-good at crocheting, then you might be rolling your eyes at my "less than
stellar" display of projects.  To you I say, "Well, bless your little heart and keep up the good work!
I do like learning from the best." 
I sometimes like to party with these amazing bloggers:

Cindy at Dwellings--The Heart of Your Home for Amaze Me Monday
Maria Elena at Our Home Away from Home for Tuesdays at Our Home
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life  for Inspire Me Tuesday
Suzy at Worthing Court for The Scoop
Richella at Imparting Grace for Grace at Home


14 comments:

  1. Carol, I think it's really nice that you enjoy crocheting! I think your work is beautiful and I'm glad you shared it. I didn't realize you liked to crochet. I'm not especially good at it but I find it relaxing. You've made some nice things and you should be proud! Thank you for tagging me in your recent post, by the way, it was really fun to read. Hope you've had a good holiday weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow is there anything you can't do? I love those dishcloths. I can't crochet or knit but luckily I have lots of family members that enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great projects Carol! I have crocheted a few blankets but nothing for about 10 years. It can be a very relaxing hobby! You always inspire me to be creative! Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so jealous of your creativity! I have tried both, and am no good at either one. LOVE the pom pom look, and I would love to be good enough to do the scarves. The sky is the limit with the scarves if you can do it, and they are so popular. Great job sweet blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do you keep them bright and clean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol, love your sweet projects. Yes, I do crochet a vintage design in broomstick lace and design a throw that I sell in my etsy shop. Just sold my last one this weekend. I am not an expert my no means but learned this very well and it has become my signature throw for my shop.
    I have used the dishcloths and they are really great. Yours are so wonderful and I love your needle case too. Looks like you are on a roll and what great Christmas gifts these will make.

    Thanks for sharing the inspiration and stopping by my blog today and your kind comment.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Carol,
    You crochet beautifully! its fun to make things isn't it :)
    You are doing a great job so you keep crocheting. Your hook case was very creative indeed.
    You know out of everything I have ever crocheted I have not made a dish cloth, so you are one ahead of me.
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. My grandma always crocheted. I'm lucky to have several afghans that she made over the years. My mom does too but not too often. She generally crochets baby blankets for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my mom makes the most wonderful things. She has taught me how to crochet when I was young, and every now and then I get the hitching to make something

    ReplyDelete
  10. I knit Carol, but not well. I am a beginner, too...I cannot read a pattern either and all of my projects so far are either scarves or blankets!! I would like to try to learn to crochet, but I think I would be just as limited doing that! So, I'll stick to knitting my own rectangular items for now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't crochet or knit, but I love seeing what projects others create. Your dishcloths are beautiful! I love the pompoms on the afghan too. I think you've done a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carol,

    Your delightful dishcloths and pretty afghan are made with a lot of TLC, and colourful magic, that crochet is indeed, very much alive! I gave knitting a shot when I was pregnant with my daughter, new to Greece, and had a lot of time on my hands, as I wasn't working. I managed to make two sweaters that were 10 sizes too large for myself, and that was it! Thanks for sharing your sudsy sweets!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol, these are beautiful projects! Love the dishcloths! I don't know how to crochet but my daughter loves it and she is getting very good at it. :) Enjoy your weekend! Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish I had your skills…I love the dishcloths, too. I love the colors you've used! One of the cutest crochet projects I've seen lately: adorable canning jar toppers. I'll try to post on them next week. I wish I could make them for my kitchen. I also saw the cutest crocheted (or maybe it was knitted) cabinet curtain. You've inspired me to write a post about these cuties!

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to hear from you and try to respond to each and everyone. If you have "no reply blogger," I will respond in my comments section and then visit your blog as soon as I can.

Make this a great day!
Carol

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...