8/28/19

Let's Talk Beds and Grab Bars


WOW!  I have not written a post since Christmas and haven't decided if I truly want to return to blogging; but I wanted to share some trials and tribulations of a recent road trip The Man and I took to Oregon.  We were not sure I would be able to do long days in the car because of some serious back problems (spinal stenosis), so we did some trial runs locally here in AZ to see how I did.  Our car is fairly new and equipped with heated seats....I really want to bring my car seat into our home and use it there! With the air cranked down low and my back and bum all toasty warm, I had many "aaaah moments!"

Those comfy moments ended when we got to our first hotel of the night.  It was a Best Western (we usually find them quite adequate & reasonably priced), but we walked in and a steep flight of stairs was staring me in the face...oh no!  We immediately asked if they had an elevator or a ground floor room available...NO to both.  The clerk got on the phone and found us a ground floor room at the Holiday Inn Express just a block away.  We walked in to a brand new room, never used...the hotel chain is going through all of their hotels and updating room by room.  The bedding was beautiful, but wait...the bed was looking rather high.  The top of the bed was above my waist; okay, I'm a shortie...5'1ish" and I could not get in the bed!  I would have had a struggle even without my current issues.  Our suitcases are soft-sided, so those didn't work, and the only available chair was a rolling desk chair...great way to get my bum on the floor!  Well, The Man went to the office to see if they had a step stool (which they did not) and came back with the only other option...a case of copy paper.  That box gave me just enough height to get in and out of the bed easily.  The next morning we were told that the room was comped, and they apologized for our inconvenience.  The desk clerk asked us to please share online with the company that beds this high would cause issues with lots of people of all ages...rest assured, we did that! We were told that the company has set this room design, including all beds, to be standard in all of their hotel rooms across the country.  So be aware!

Sorry, I didn't think to take a picture until the next morning!Needless to say, we got on the phone and secured ground level or elevator equipped rooms for the rest of our journey.


The other thing I really noticed, and I'm sure The Man grew weary of, were grab bars in the bathrooms...actually, the lack of said bars!  A few places we stayed had NONE; and the ones that did have them, they were positioned poorly.  Some of you youngsters are probably wondering what the big deal is, but after a certain age, our greatest fear is falling and breaking a hip.  I have a hip problem, but do not consider myself handicapped.  I've never used the handicap stalls in a restroom, because I didn't want to be using it if someone in a wheelchair came in.  That has changed...the handicap stalls have tons of grab bars, even the roadside rest stops have them.  The "handicap stall police" will have to give me a ticket, because I'm using those stalls exclusively!

It's always so special to glimpse majestic Mt. Shasta when driving through Northern California!

In Ashland, OR, we got upgraded to a suite.  This would have been really great if we were going to be here for more than one night!  Everything in this suite was nice, except the bathroom....NO GRAB BARS!

Contrary to all my negativity, we enjoyed our trip immensely.  We went for the purpose of seeing family.  Part of the time, we were in Salem, OR and attended a 60th Wedding Anniversary for The Man's brother and SIL.  It was fun and we got to see almost all the relatives, so it was kind of a family reunion as well.  The rest of our trip was spent in Sisters-Redmond, OR seeing my sister and her hubby.  My sweet sister and BIL are dealing with cancer and chemo for him.  It's obviously a great struggle for both, but we enjoyed our time together and had lots of laughs and non-stop talking.

My BIL's mom (now one of God's angels) was a Diorama Egg artist, and even had one of her beauties in the Bill Clinton White House.  My sister and BIL decided together to gift me with one of her lovely eggs...a Christmas one.  I am thrilled to have this beautiful piece of art displayed in my china cabinet!

 

Well that's a wrap for now.  If I do more posting, it will most likely be Fall decor....I have lots of that going on in our home right now.  Some will think it's too early and that's okay.  Waiting another couple of weeks won't make it any less hot than it is right now, and this way I get to enjoy it longer! I hope everyone is having a great week!

Warm hugs,
Carol








10 comments:

  1. Carol, it's really amazing to see how difficult it is to travel when you have any kind of issue. I have allergies that can be quite severe at times, and I find that securing a place to stay isn't alway easy. They all promise you the world, but the reality is often very different. When I find a place that I like we stick! I know that wasn't possible on your trip. Glad you found a silver lining in the visits!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, We’ve encountered those higher beds and I have to say I don’t like them! I’m 5’6” and can get on and off, but I prefer the lower ones. FYI, I’m not sure how much longer I’ll continue to blog. I’ve been blogging for over 8 years and I think I’m finally tiring of it; but I love IG as a way of sharing. Less time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. Have a happy week. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you a lot for giving everyone such a terrific possiblity to read from this web site. It is usually so cool and as well , stuffed with amusement for me and my office acquaintances to visit your blog a minimum of three times weekly to find out the fresh tips you have got. Of course, I am just actually amazed with your extraordinary things you give. Certain 2 tips in this posting are particularly the best we've ever had.
    vip desert safari dubai

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I have been married for about 7 years now. We were happily married with two children, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago I started to notice strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I discovered that my husband was seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he doesn't care about me or the kids anymore, sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come home for about 2-3 days. I did everything I could to correct this problem but to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. One day when I was surfing the Internet, I came across a website that suggested that Dr. Padman could help resolve marital problems, restore broken relationships, and so on. So I felt like I had to give it a try. I contacted him and he made a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to see me and apologized for the wrongs he had committed and promised to never do it again. Since then, everything has returned to normal. My family and I live happily together again. All thanks to Dr. Padman. If you need a spellcaster capable of casting a spell that really works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. Here is his email:

    padmanlovespell@yahoo.com or (info@padmanspell.com)

    WhatsApp +1 949 229 386
    website: https://padmanspell.com/index-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking forward to all the good things I have met you on a new day, thank you very much
    Bicuki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Thanks for sharing this information with us. Your website is also awesome!!
    Women Handbags Online

    ReplyDelete
  8. We often place our handbag on the kitchen counter, a bench, and some even momentarily meet the floor so for hygiene reasons alone, it is not acceptable. Latest Bags Designs

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to hear from you and try to respond to each and everyone. If you have "no reply blogger," I will respond in my comments section and then visit your blog as soon as I can.

Make this a great day!
Carol

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...