12/18/13

Christmas Cheer in Our Family Room

Hey everyone!  Hope y'all aren't getting too exhausted with all the holiday chaos and are actually taking some time to stop and enjoy the works of your labor.  I'm trying really hard to do that this year.  Today I want to share our family room.  Because our family room is open to the kitchen and breakfast room, I try to keep the same feel and colors running throughout the entire space, and it's all about whimsy.  Come on and I'll show you what I've done.

In case you are wondering, that pad on the floor in front of the fireplace is Abby's heated pad.  I'm very surprised she is not on it right now.  It's pressure sensitive so only heats up when she gets on it, or when The Man or I need to warm up our tootsies!


If you remember, I've talked before about the underlying "snow" theme running throughout our home.  Well, of course, that meant we would have snowflakes in the mantelscape!


The stockings are hung, but I'm still thinking about replacing those with something fresh, but we will see.  It is definitely not a "must-do."

UPDATE:  New drop cloth stockings have been made and hung, and I really like them!
I think they just look better with the whimsical colors I've got going on in here.

And.....they match some new pillows that you will see a bit later.

Mom's holding down this side of the fireplace!

I put this wreath together last year, but added a few more turquoise ornies and snowflakes.

I started the nutcracker collection a couple of years ago for The Man but haven't been very good about adding to it.  That is until this year.......

I haven't been impressed with all the sports-related or Hollywood character nutcrackers (Elvis -- no thanks!), but found this little cutie pie at JoAnn's the other day.  He is just perfect for The "Santa" Man around here who has been busy, busy in his workshop!



I originally had bows tied around these hurricanes and some running through the greenery garland, but decided it was too much.

I like having the greenery be more focal and not all covered up with ribbon and mesh as I've done in the past.

I've had this icicle garland for many years and just used a dot of glue to attach the snowflakes.


The main reason for this arrangement is to hide some cords, but I do like the pop of color.

This area is where I get a bit crazy and just keep adding stuff.  Hopefully, by this time next year, there will be a whole different look to our entertainment center.

Wow, sorry for the glare on that photo!

I decided to do a little different take on my "blooming lamp" that I did for my Fall decor HERE.

I kept the square of burlap and just added in some tinsel, ornies and snowflakes, of course!

This is how I save our past years' Christmas cards and photos that friends and family send.  I just cannot bare to throw them away, can you?  You can see how I put them into little keepsake booklet-form HERE.  I added a small tag with the year on it.  It really is fun to look through them again, and they are now part of our Christmas decor!

Here are my new drop cloth pillows -- the ones in the center.  The two end ones were residing in the sitting room, but I love moving pillows around and changing covers.

I kept seeing such cute Christmas pillows on Pinterest and had to get in on the fun.  The turquoise poinsettias are simply attached with safety pins on the inside of the pillow cover.  The other one is actually stitched.

I got the pattern and idea for making the poinsettias HERE @ BH&G

I got the idea for this one from Jody @ Homey Home Design & it was super-simple.  I glued on the teensy little pom poms for just plain cuteness!

My little baker's rack has become the perfect spot to display seasonal dishes and to have them very handy for using in the breakfast room.

These salad plates were from Walmart a few years ago -- part of their BH&G collection.

The salt & pepper shakers and the sweet little teapot were purchased new about thirty-five years ago from Lillian Vernon.

The Santa cookie jar is the same vintage, and I just adore him.  The glass jar holds lots of 
old cookie cutters.

Well, that about does it for this time.  I have really enjoyed sharing this area of our home with all of you.  It's where we spend most of our time, and I hope it comes across as cozy and inviting to y'all as it does to us.  Thanks so much for the visit!
I love to party with these fine bloggers:
The Tablescaper at The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays
Karen at Sew Many Ways for Sew Darn Crafty
Cindy at Dwellings--The Heart of Your Home for Amaze Me Monday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Kathryn at The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Mondays
Maria Elena at Our Home Away from Home for Tuesdays at Our Home
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life  for Inspire Me Tuesday
Leslie at House on the Way for Twirl & Take a Bow
Mary Beth at Cupcakes and Crinoline for Project Inspired
Karin at The Style Sisters for Centerpiece Wednesday
Angela at Hickory Trail for Efforts and Assets
Kelly at Live Laugh Rowe for Live Laugh Linky Party
Richella at Imparting Grace for Grace at Home
Pamela at From My Front Porch to Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
Kathryn at The Dedicated House for Anything Blue Friday
The Tablescaper at The Tablescaper for Oh, The Places I've Been
Jody & Stan at Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays 
Amanda at Serenity Now for Weekend Bloggy Reading

6 comments:

  1. I loved your holiday tour of the house. Everything looks lovely. I hope to finish getting everything together this weekend. I have just found out that I have to work so it is going to be difficult... Darn that work thing! I like what you are doing with the drop clothes. Drop clothes are a very economical resource for material. I like the weight and texture of the cloth too. Your couch looks like my La- Z- Boy couch in the same style and fabric. Wears like iron (and comfy too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your new stockings, they are a fresh look that I love. I have done almost the exact same thing with my Christmas cards/photos for several years. I too bring them out every year, especially now that some of the loved ones have moved on to heaven. And, I love cookie cutters and have a whole stash of them that I keep in cute tins. A few of my favorite things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Carol! You have done such a marvelous job with your holiday decor....everything looks so pretty, cheerful and festive! Love the pops of color at every corner and in each vignette! My favorite are those drop cloth pillows and stockings....love the neutrals and the pops of color in the turquoise poinsettias,,,very pretty! The Santa tea pot and salt and pepper shakers are too cute! Thanks for the tour, I truly enjoyed it! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Hugs, Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it all Carol but most especially the darling stockings and pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! I have a confession to make - Nutcrackers ooog me out! Something about their faces scare me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your home looks so Christmasy with all the traditional colors, I use them in my home too, have one white room
    and the rest is like yours. Your mantle looks gorgeous........very nice job.
    and Merry Christmas to you and yours,
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete

I truly love to hear from you and try to respond to each and everyone. If you have "no reply blogger," I will respond in my comments section and then visit your blog as soon as I can.

Make this a great day!
Carol

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...