Hey everyone! I CANNOT believe Halloween is over, Thanksgiving is looming just around the corner, and then it will be the "mad Christmas dash!" Since we are getting into that time of year for present wrapping frenzy, I thought I would share a little something that happened totally by accident; but, of course you need some background.
The picture below is our Christmas kitchen in our previous home. We had completely gutted and remodeled the kitchen in 2004 -- new cabinets, Corian countertops, new stainless appliances, & hardwood floors. You can see that complete transformation HERE. I had always wanted an island, but we just weren't sure if the space would allow it, so we waited. The Man said we could add one if I decided the space would work. Well, we just happened to be browsing through Crate n'Barrel one time when we were in the big city (Scottsdale) & discovered the PERFECT island.
This is a catalog view.
The island came with optional "bun feet," to which we added nice heavy-duty felt pads -- made it easy to move around without damaging the floor.
This island was in constant use.
My kitchen was small, but having this island made a huge difference in my work space. When we sold this house, the buyers got my refrigerator, but I couldn't part with the island & they didn't care.
The picture below is the kitchen in our current home just after moving in -- before we started doing/ making changes.
This kitchen had an island, albeit a small one, so I just butted my little gem right up against it. Well, that lasted until we added the granite countertops and expanded the size of the existing island.
Now what -- where o' where could I use my little portable island?
Well, here we go -- great work table in my Momma-Cave! It actually stayed here and was very useful for over a year; but then I did some major rearranging (WHAT?) and the poor little island was on the move once again. But, WHERE?
Yes, this is the guest room, but guests really don't need an entire double closet, do they?
See, Abby is showing you that it was a perfect fit.
Yay, it makes the perfect wrapping station! The Man added some rods above to hold rolls of paper and ribbons.
There is an outlet just outside the closet door, so my old clamp desk lamp was the perfect light for here. I also left the hanging rod & used pant/skirt hangers to hold tissue paper.
There is just enough space on the very end to hold all of my extra rolls of paper.
This was something that I had used in my craft room at one point, but it will be perfect for holding tapes, scissors & gift tags.
The drawers are great for extra ribbon and......
Package fillers, etc. The third drawer is actually empty right now -- GASP!
The cupboard-part is spacious and very useful. This bin holds all of my gift bags & some flat-fold gift wrap.
To the right of the bin is a basket with an assortment of folded boxes. The big green box is full of my Christmas ribbons, tags, etc.
Who knew one little portable island could serve so many uses.
Yep, Abby and I love the new wrapping station! I'm so glad I could not let it go!
Thanks for stopping by. You are always welcome here!
I love to party with these fine bloggers:
- The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays
- Karen at Sew Many Ways for Sew Darn Crafty
- Susan at Between Naps On The Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
- Kathryn at The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday
- Cindy at Dwellings of the Heart for Amaze Me Monday
- Toni at A Bowl Full of Lemons for One Project at a Time
- Brenda at Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday
- Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesdays
- Maria Elena at Our Home Away from Home for Tuesdays at Our Home
- Patti at Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
- Jenny at The NY Melrose Family for Whimsy Wednesdays
- Pamela at From My Front Porch to Your for Treasure Hunt Thursdays
- Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
- Richella at Imparting Grace for Grace at Home
- Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
- Katie at Katherine's Corner for Thursday Favorite Things
- Amanda at Serenity Now for Weekend Bloggy Reading
- Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
- Jody and Stan at Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays
- Traci at Beneath My Heart for Best DIY Projects
- Emily at 52 Mantels for Your Mantels