When we have even a slight cool down here in Arizona, I start pulling out our favorite recipes for soups, stews & chili. The current cool down is into the 80's, which isn't cool to most; but when you've lived through the summer here & experience 115 or higher, 80 requires a sweater! Anyway, I love cooking all the time, but more so in the fall & winter. This recipe has become one of our favorites & I can't remember where I got it. I guess I've tweaked it enough that I can probably call it my own.
Slow-cook 3 1/2 hours on high, or 5 hours on low
You can make your favorite recipe for beef meatballs if you like, but I use frozen turkey meatballs that I get from Costco. FYI -- I use turkey in place of beef almost exclusively. For this recipe, I use 3 meatballs per serving, but for heartier eaters, you might want to add a few more.
Add to pot:
1 bag (16 oz) baby carrots
3 or 4 large parsnips, cut into 1" long pieces
1 med.-size onion, chopped
Top with the meatballs (if using frozen, no need to thaw)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup beef broth (or chicken or vegetable broth)
1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Drizzle over the meat & vegetables
Cook as directed above or until parsnips are tender.
1/4 tsp. each salt & pepper
1 T. parsley
1/4 cup ketchup
1 T. broth
1 T. cornstarch
Gently stir into slow cooker. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.
My Southern upbringing comes out when I make something like this & I have to make cornbread to go with. This is a super easy and healthy meal.
Hope you give it a try. It smells so good while it's cooking.
Thanks for stopping by, & I hope you come back soon.
Link to Party Here!
- The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays
- Karen at Sew Many Ways for Sew Darn Crafty
- Susan at Between Naps On The Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
- Kathryn at The Dedicated House for Make It Pretty Monday
- Cindy at Dwellings of the Heart for Amaze Me Monday
- Toni at A Bowl Full of Lemons for One Project at a Time
- Brenda at Cozy Little House for Tweak It Tuesday
- Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesdays
- Maria Elena at Our Home Away from Home for Tuesdays at Our Home
- Patti at Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesay
- Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
- Jenny at The NY Melrose Family for Whimsy Wednesdays
- Pamela at From My Front Porch to Your for Treasure Hunt Thursdays
- Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
- Richella at Imparting Grace for Grace at Home
- Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
- Katie at Katherine's Corner for Thursday Favorite Things
- Amanda at Serenity Now for Weekend Bloggy Reading
- Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
- Jody and Stan at Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays
- Traci at Beneath My Heart for Best DIY Projects
- Emily at 52 Mantels for Your Mantels